Trademark Licensing
Fresno State merchandise

Protecting our brand.

University trademarks have come to symbolize the passion of Fresno State alumni, fans, students and student-athletes. The University licensing program was established to ensure that these marks are used properly.

What is a trademark?

A trademark is any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University.

A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. The trademark licensing program creates positive relationships between licensees, retailers, customers and the campus community.

Become a Licensee

A licensee is an entity who has been granted permission to use another entity’s property. Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise bearing Fresno State’s trademarks must be approved by the University through its licensing agency. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes and how the University is going to be represented. If you wish to become a licensed vendor, fill out the application below.

Submit your license application

List of Licensed Vendors

Licensed vendors are approved to produce University products that match your needs. If you’d like to work with a vendor who is not licensed, please direct them to the licensee application.

Internal Product Ordering Procedures

If you’re a campus unit, fill out the Royalty Waiver

Products intended for the internal use by University departments, clubs and organizations may be exempt from royalties. It is the responsibility of the ordering party to request a royalty exemption. Fill out and submit the form below.

Royalty Waiver Request Form 267 KB (.pdf)

Identify the item(s) to be purchased and contact an approved, licensed vendor to obtain a quotation. Depending on quantity and cost, multiple quotations are encouraged. Find a licensed vendor using the following forms:

Artwork for any items bearing the University logo or any other Fresno State trademark must have the appropriate trademark designation symbol: or . Contact University Brand Strategy and Marketing at to obtain the approved artwork or to assist with modifying existing artwork to comply with University policy. Then, send this artwork to your licensed vendor. Your licensed vendor should provide you with a proof of the artwork on your intended product.

Submit the completed royalty waiver form and artwork to Trademark Licensing for review and approval.

A few things to remember …

While internal use orders are typically granted a royalty waiver, each order is considered on a case-by-case basis. Any orders submitted to Procurement without the royalty waiver form are subject to having royalties added to the cost of the order, which is typically 15 percent. Items intended to be re-sold will not be granted a royalty waiver, and the royalty fee will be added to the order by the vendor.

If the royalty waiver is not approved, the declined waiver should be provided to Procurement so they are aware royalties were not waived.

Estimated overall processing time from Step #1 (filling out Royalty Waiver) to delivery on campus could take two to four weeks depending on the item(s), so be sure to allow sufficient time.

Visit Trademark Licensing at

  • Check the Tags!

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What products can be licensed?

    Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University’s Trademark Licensing Office. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Trademark Licensing Office. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste while ensuring non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

  • Who needs a license?

    Anyone wishing to use the trademarks of the University for merchandise for resale, products for internal use and promotional products must obtain a license.

  • I want to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks. Do I have to be a licensed vendor?

    If you wish to sell merchandise with the University trademarks that you produce, you must be a licensed vendor. However, if you wish to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks and do not produce any of the merchandise you are selling, you do not have to be a licensed vendor. With the proper business permits, anyone can sell officially-licensed merchandise as long as it is purchased from a vendor licensed to produce emblematic merchandise for the University.

  • What if you do not get a license?

    All products must be approved by the Trademark Licensing Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University’s Trademark Licensing Office would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

  • Can alumni or student groups sell products using the University’s marks as a fundraiser?

    Yes, however before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University’s Trademark Licensing Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

  • Who is responsible for the program?

    The person responsible for the Trademark Licensing Program at Fresno State is:

    Clarence Chiong
    Harold H. Haak Administrative Center, Henry Madden Library - 4th Floor
    5200 North Barton Avenue M/S ML 118
    Fresno, CA 93740

  • What is the CLC?

    CLC is the licensing agency for Fresno State. As the University’s agency, CLC is responsible for assisting the trademark licensing office, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.